If you are a lorry driver, you must have experienced many long-distance journeys. You have to drive for hours day or night. But with such a demanding work schedule, many lorry drivers fail to realize the importance of nutrition.
Lorry driving demands a lot from your body. So, without the proper nutrition, you could end up seriously harming yourself.
Why Should Lorry Driver Eat Nutritious Foods?
Driving for long hours requires skill, energy, and mental wellbeing. You need the right fuel for your body to stay active. Therefore, you must consume nutritious food every day to get the energy to drive.
Food can energize your body. It also affects your mental clarity, memory, and focus. So, as a driver, you must consider following a healthy diet.
Since drivers have to sit and drive for hours, they have a high chance of becoming overweight. In fact, there are reports that long-distance drivers often get overweight and get heart diseases.
This also happened because of following an unhealthy diet. As driving is a time-bound job, drivers often have snacks and junk foods instead of having a proper meal. These foods contain too many calories and no real nutrient value. So, lorry drivers must maintain healthy eating habits to avoid getting sick.
Nutritious Foods Lorry Drivers Should Have In Their Diet
To stay healthy and active on the road, you should make a proper meal plan every day. Your diet plan must have food containing Omega-3 Fatty acids, vitamin B, and antioxidants. These nutrients are essential for proper brain function. Also, you must have iron and potassium to boost your energy and concentration level.
Here is a list of food you must have on your diet plan:
- Egg: Eggs contain a good amount of fat and most essential vitamins. Easy to store in a vehicle.
- Fatty Fish: A superb source of Omega-3. Fresh fatty fishes are best, but you can have the canned version for ease of use.
- Bananas: Fill ups the need for potassium, carbohydrates, and vitamin B6. Boosts energy.
- Nuts and Seeds: You can keep cans or packs of nuts and seeds. They contain zinc, copper, magnesium, vitamin E, iron, and other micronutrients.
- Apples: An excellent fruit for sustainable energy. Also, apples have fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are brain food. It is good for the nervous system and immune system. It has beta carotene, vitamin C, and minerals.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is a quick source of energy. It contains simple sugars that can break down easily and produce energy.
- Porridge oats: Oats fight against cholesterol problems. Porridge oats help energy production.
- Spinach: Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus. Spinach keeps bones strong and improves mental clarity.
- Beans: Active in energy products and make sure the energy reaches every cell of the body.
- Blueberries: Have blueberries in the meal plan for a rich supply of antioxidants. Antioxidants stimulate blood flow and deliver oxygen to the brain.
All the foods mentioned in the article have high nutritional value. They will keep you energized and active on long journeys. Besides, they do not take much time to prepare. Lastly, remember to drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated.
Find out more about Urban Yoga Lab upcoming events and make sure to register our workshop about: Events Calendar & Mental Health First Aid